8 months ago
The Terrace Restaurant is based at the four-red-star Montagu Arms Hotel, located in the beautiful village of Beaulieu and surrounded by the glorious scenery of the New Forest. We offer our guests 3AA Rosette fine dining cuisine with a seasonal menu inspired and driven by the superb natural larder of the New Forest, and includes spectacular produce straight from the restaurant’s organic kitchen garden. The restaurant is renowned for its food philosophy, utilising the best, seasonal, local produce to deliver expertly crafted dishes. Head Chef Matthew Whitfield joined the Terrace restaurant in January 2019 fresh from the three-Michelin-Star Eleven Madison Park in New York and we are wanting to push these food standards even higher!
This is a unique opportunity for an imaginative, detail-orientated Sous Chef to be part of an innovative kitchen, with the creative freedom to provide input into developing exciting new dishes. As a proactive, hands-on chef you will have the skills to manage, motivate and develop the team through effective communication, problem-solving and collaboration. In line with our focus on sustainability and responsible-sourcing, you will build strong relationships with local producers and help develop aspects such as foraging, in-house butchery and our range of homemade jams and breads.
Our ideal candidate will have significant kitchen management experience in a rosette or Michelin star restaurant coupled with the ambition to achieve culinary excellence. You will need to be organised and adaptable with a participative approach to your work. With excellent knowledge of classic and technical cooking methods, the successful candidate will use their strong leadership skills to develop and challenge the team in a professional, rewarding environment.
Working closely with Matt Whitfield, you will help manage stock, rotas and costs, ensuring that food service is delivered with resource optimisation and cost efficiency in mind, without affecting quality control and the attention to detail required at this level. The Sous Chef will also be required to enforce strict health and safety measures and HACCP procedures to ensure the safety of food, chemicals, machinery and staff within the kitchen environment.
If you have relevant experience in a professional kitchen and are keen to join like-minded chefs who are truly passionate about food then this might be the role for you.
The role is full time, with a rota operating on 5 out of 7 days per week. Transport is an advantage to reach the picturesque village of Beaulieu. The hotel is situated 6 miles from Brockenhurst Village and train station with excellent rail links to Bournemouth, Southampton and London.
Full job description can be found below.
We offer benefits including:
* Competitive remuneration package
* Leisure membership of award winning SenSpa at Careys Manor (our sister hotel)
* Gratuities via service charge
* Training and Development opportunities
* Friends and Family discounts in our Hotels, Spa, and Restaurants across Group
* Employee Assistance Programme through Hospitality Action
* Annual leave. Long serving staff enjoy enhanced holiday entitlement
* Long Service annual celebratory dinner
* Pension; eligible team members benefit from a NEST pension scheme
* Free parking on site
Job Title: Sous Chef, Terrace Restaurant
Dept: Kitchen - Terrace
Reports to: Head Chef
Summary of Job Purpose:
Reporting directly to the Head Chef, responsibilities will include effective day to day running of the main kitchen and mise en place, maintaining standards set by the Head Chef and ensuring temperature records, cleaning schedules and health & safety regulations are upheld to the highest standards. The Sous Chef will also be required to deputise in the Head Chef’s absence as well as look at ways in which we can improve our award winning 3 AA Rosette Terrace restaurant at The Montagu Arms Hotel.
* Help with the day to day running of the Main kitchen including ordering, control of food related GPs and associated paper work.
* Control of staffing costs, ensuring staffing budgets are met.
* Assisting the Head Chef in the management of staff, including disciplinary and conduct issues.
* Take responsibility for the kitchen in the absence of the Head Chef, ensuring that 3 AA Rosette standards are maintained.
* Must be confident in managing a variety of sections, including running the pass
* Working with the Head Chef to develop the menu and proposing ideas for improving our food offering.
* Ensuring that Junior Chefs are given the guidance and training that they need.
* Onboarding new employees
* Establishing strong relationships with staff in other areas of the business, including managers and front of house teams.
* Represent the kitchen at Head of Department meeting in the absence of Head Chef.
* Ensuring a high level of cleanliness in the kitchen is maintained and all Montagu Arms Hotel safety procedures are followed.
* Ensuring all kitchen staff are well presented and demonstrate good personal hygiene.
* Ensuring kitchen equipment is used safely and appropriately, as well as logging any maintenance issues.
* Help with all HACCP food safety management including daily fridge temperature, operational reports, blast chiller reports etc, ensuring strict adherence with food hygiene regulations.
* Keeping the team motivated and structured, encouraging a creative environment and supporting a good work life balance.
* The job holder should be adequately trained for the job function, including training in relation to Health Safety and Environment obligations.
* The job holder may be required to undertake such other reasonable duties as may be required of him / her in the post, the department mentioned above or in the company.
* It is the duty of every employee while at work to take reasonable care for the Health, Safety and Environment of himself and of other persons, who may be affected by his/her acts or omissions at work, and as regards any duty or requirement imposed on his/her employer or any other person by or under any of the relevant statutory provisions (HSAW 1974 section.7)
Amendment of Job Description
This is a description of the job as it is presently constituted. It is recognised such duties may vary from time to time without changing the general character of the duties or the level of responsibility. Such variations are regarded as a common occurrence and cannot of themselves necessarily justify a regrading of the post.
The Montagu Arms Hotel is owned by Greenclose Hotels Ltd, also in the group are Careys Manor Hotel and SenSpa, Brockenhurst and The Imperial Hotel, Llandudno.
We have devised a health & safety program in accordance with HM Government, Public Health England and specialist advice from UK Hospitality – our support partner. Our internal operating practices will be reviewed to reflect ongoing recommendations.