11 months ago
The Principal York
The Principal York, adjacent to the train station and dating back to 1878, provides the first tangible glimpse of the ambitions for and investment in the new Principal hotel brand. All of the hotel’s 155 bedrooms have been given a beautiful new look and feel by interior architects Goddard Littlefair, whilst the newly refurbished public spaces include The Garden Room, with views across the hotel lawns to York Minster in the background. The hotel also has a new restaurant – The Refectory Kitchen & Terrace, serving fresh, seasonal produce from “God’s Own Country” – as well as a comfortable, cosy bar called the Chapter House.
Maintenance and Grounds Assistant
Overview of the role
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Maintenance and Grounds Assistant to join our team. Reporting directly to the Chief Engineer, the Maintenance and Grounds Assistant will work as part of the Maintenance team responsible for establishing, maintaining and managing the hotel gardens to the highest horticultural standards, as well as the general maintenance of this iconic building.
The role will be a split of 70% grounds work in the summer and 30% in the winter, with the remainder comprising of general maintenance duties.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
* Responsible for making sure the property is consistently maintained to group standards and any issues are addressed in a timely manner
* You will cover both reactive and planned preventative work and involve working closely with all hotel departments to ensure minimum disruption to guests.
* Responsible for lawn care, hedge-cutting, pruning, weeding, planting and all associated garden tasks under the direction of the Chief Engineer.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal Maintenance and Grounds Assistant must be able to display the following:
* Previous experience and knowledge of resolving general maintenance issues
* Previous experience in a similar role, good plant knowledge and skilled at using and maintaining garden machinery
* Experience of working in a guest facing environment
* Enthusiastic, motivated and able to work to deadlines.
* Able to follow clear instructions
* Able to use your own initiative, organise yourself and prioritise tasks without the need for close supervision on a daily basis.
* Possess a RHS level 2 or equivalent (desirable)
This role is for 39 hours per week, working any 5 days out of 7.
Weekends and callouts are involved.
* A competitive salary
* 28 days holiday each year, including bank holidays (this increases annually up to a maximum of 33 days)
* Hotel based incentive schemes
* Voluntary benefits including discounts on some travel, leisure time activities, health, retail and motoring
* Discounted accommodation within the group with colleague rates at our other hotels
* Long service awards which increase with service
* Excellent training and development opportunities within both the hotel and the company
* Financial rewards for delivering sensational service
* Free meals on duty