6 months ago
Situated in the grounds of Careys Manor Hotel, our French bar and bistro, Le Blaireau, offers guests a relaxed, laid back atmosphere with regional French cooking and an all-French wine list.
We are seeking a Head Chef to head up the brigade in the kitchen of Le Blaireau, reporting into Le Blaireau Manager. This is an exciting opportunity to work with local, free-range and organic produce sourced in line with our ethical food policy and you will also have the chance to fully redevelop the menu and take this exciting French concept to the next level.
The Head Chef is responsible for running the kitchen as efficiently as possible; developing menus and managing stock and food costs, whilst adhering to the highest standards of food hygiene and health and safety.
The Head Chef will need to expertly manage, motivate and develop the team of chefs, and liaise effectively with the Restaurant front of house team. This is a busy, high volume brasserie and you need to be able to cope under pressure and with a high numbers of customers.
Our successful candidate will be an experienced Head Chef with a stable career in restaurants. With classic French training, you will have ideally lived and worked in France serving rustic French food. With experience of sauce, pastry etc. you will be a multi-skilled chef who is adaptable to the needs of the business.
We are seeking someone who can run the kitchen competently, especially when busy, ensuring excellence and consistency all round. You will need excellent organisational skills, as well as high standards and attention to detail. It is important we find a team player with good communication skills, and in this French bistro, a good knowledge of both French and English language would be an advantage.
The hotel is situated 5 minutes’ walk from Brockenhurst Village and train station with excellent rail links to Bournemouth, Southampton and London.The New Forest is a lovely setting with ponies, deer and other animals roaming throughout the Forest and its villages, and beautiful surroundings.
We offer benefits including:
* Competitive rates of pay plus a share of the service charge
* Leisure membership of our award winning SenSpa facility
* Uniform and workwear provided
* Apprenticeship and ongoing Training and Development opportunities
* Friends and Family discounts in our Hotels, Spa, and Restaurants across Group
* Employee Assistance Programme through Hospitality Action
* Annual leave. Long serving staff enjoy enhanced holiday entitlement
* Long Service annual celebratory dinner
* Pension; eligible team members benefit from a NEST pension scheme
* Free parking on site
* Staff accommodation (temporary)
Please apply with a CV and covering letter
Careys Manor & SenSpa is owned by Greenclose Hotels Ltd; also in the group are The Montagu Arms Hotel, Beaulieu and The Imperial Hotel, Llandudno.
We have devised a health & safety program in accordance with HM Government, Public Health England and specialist advice from UK Hospitality – our support partner. Our internal operating practices will be reviewed to reflect ongoing recommendations.
Job Title: Head Chef Le Blaireau
Dept: Le Blaireau
Reports to: Le Blaireau Manager
Summary of Job Purpose:
Create and cook authentic French brasserie style dishes, managing and developing the kitchen and team. To ensure that Le Blaireau is at the forefront of the restaurant scene in the New Forest and Brockenhurst by giving great service, evolving food,attractive wine list, value for money and providing an experience that makes diners want to back time and time again.As Head Chef you will play a big part in this working closely with the Blaireau Manager to set the standards to enable us to give diners the experience we want to give at Le Blaireau.
* Cook authentic French brasserie style dishes with a good selection of vegetarian dishes represented both in starters and main courses.
* Food should be simplistic and very French
* As a restaurant driven by covers, the food should be balanced and able to be produced quickly and to the highest of standards.
* Produce excellent food to exceed guest expectations
* Develop menus /dishes with GM, Hotel Manager and Le Blaireau Manager
* Adhere to company ethical food policy e.g. organic produce/free range /local /seasonal etc.
* Control staff costs in line with budget
* Food related GPs to be controlled working closely with the team to reduce costs and maximise profit
* Control stock levels and rotate stock to ensure maximum efficiency
* Manage and control budgets and purchasing for kitchen
* Participate in the management team for the hotel, including attending weekly HOD / Management meetings
* Liaise closely with other Heads of Departments and attend daily operations meetings
* Communicate regularly with General Manager informing him of any changes to staffing, menu changes, guest commentary etc
* Develop and maintain strong communications and excellent working relations between Kitchen and Front of House
* Manage and motivate the kitchen brigade
* Train and develop the team to the highest standards
* Ensure Front of House staff understand new menus/dishes
Health & Safety, and Hygiene
* Ensure your entire kitchen brigade are adhering to Health and Safety and Hygiene standards, policy, and procedures including Covid secure standards
* Develop and maintain processes and procedures to ensure the highest levels of cleanliness in the kitchen
* Liaise with Health & Safety, Food Hygiene consultant
* Actively participate and promote Le Blaireau at community events.
* Liaise with other Head Chefs within Group where appropriate.
* Whilst the restaurant is not accolade driven there will be support to ensure that Le Blaireau is known locally as a great place to eat, being busy and building on the great reputation already in place.