about 1 year ago
Start Your Journey With Us
Marriott International portfolio of brands includes both JW Marriott and Marriott Hotels.
St Pierre Marriott Hotel & Country Club offers its associates a competitive salary, gym membership, staff meals, car parking, birthday gifts, and generous global hotel and product discounts for you, your friends and family.
This four star hotel has a focus on culinary excellence and provides staff with extensive, ongoing training and development. Marriott International is the worlds’ largest hotel company and provides associates with exciting long term career opportunities.
Ideally placed in Chepstow, South Wales close to the M48, St Pierre is a picturesque location with two fantastic golf courses where no two days are the same. With an exciting blend of guests and large events, our hotel is a great place to develop your skills, supporting weddings, prolific golf events, sports teams, extensive leisure facilities and fine dining at our hotel's on-site Morgan's Restaurant.
JW Marriott is part of Marriott International's luxury portfolio and consists of more than 70 beautiful properties in gateway cities and distinctive resort locations around the world. Our associates deliver sophisticated and warmly authentic service in a comfortable and luxurious atmosphere that cultivates fulfilling experiences for both our associates and our guests.
As a Culinary Apprentice Chef you are responsible for ensuring that you work to the expected standards, to implement all day to day relevant and assigned tasks and responsibilities adequate to Hygiene, Check points and BSA levels required.
Babcock has been working successfully with Marriott for many years delivering work-based learning programmes that lead to a nationally recognised qualification. Babcock delivers the assessment, mentoring and guidance required for the Apprenticeship, which is carried out by Babcock’s Vocational Learning Advisors (VLA) within your workplace. This means that there is no need for you to spend time away from your job in a classroom or at college.
The following are specific responsibilities and contributions critical to the successful performance of the position:
* Ensure the quality of the food items and notify manager if a product does not meet specifications.
* Monitor the quantity of food that is prepared and the portions that are served in to control food waste and ensure that good food is not thrown away.
* Communicate any assistance needed during busy periods to the Chef to ensure optimum service to guests.
* Operate ovens, stoves, grills, microwaves, and fryers to prepare foods.
* Check and ensure the correctness of the temperature of appliances and food using thermostats and thermometers, including monitoring freezer systems, such as fans, drains, and doors, for proper operation, and report issues or problems to management.
* Maintain up-to-date knowledge of company Food Safety Programmes within assigned area of responsibility, as well as all local regulations.
* Prepare and cook food according to recipes, quality standards, presentation standards, and food preparation checklist, establishing priority items.
* Prepare ingredients for cooking, including portioning, chopping, and storing food before use.
* Wash and peel (if required) fresh fruits and vegetables to prepare them for cooking or consumption.
* Test foods to determine if they have been cooked sufficiently, using methods such as tasting, smelling, or piercing them with utensils.
* Weigh, measure, and mix ingredients according to recipes or personal judgment, using various kitchen utensils and equipment.
* Monitor food quality while preparing food and throughout the day utilizing the HACCP forms and production charts.
* Prepare cold foods, including preparing salads, cold sandwiches, condiments, and dressings.
Safety and Security
* Follow company and department safety and security policies and procedures to ensure a clean, safe, and secure environment.
* Be aware of accident prevention and help enforce safe work conditions – zero accident is our goal. Report work related accidents, or other injuries immediately upon occurrence to manager/supervisor.
* Use proper equipment, wear appropriate personal protective clothing (PPE), and employ correct lifting procedures, as necessary, to avoid injury.
* Complete appropriate safety training and certifications to perform work tasks.
* Identify and correct unsafe work procedures or conditions and/or report them to management and security/safety personnel.
* Follow property specific procedures for handling emergency situations (e.g., evacuations, medical emergencies, natural disasters).
Policies and Procedures
* Follow company and department policies and procedures, including but not limited to safety & security, emergency situations, sanitation & cleaning procedures.
* Protect company tools, equipment, machines, or other assets in accordance with company policies and procedures.
* Ensure uniform, nametags, and personal appearance are clean, hygienic, professional and in compliance with company policies and procedures.
* Maintain confidentiality of proprietary information; protect company assets including protect the privacy and security of guests and coworkers.
* Perform other reasonable job duties as requested by Supervisors.
* Assist other employees to ensure proper coverage and prompt guest service.
* Speak to guests using clear, appropriate and professional language.
Working with Others
* Speak with others using clear and professional language.
* Develop and maintain positive working relationships with others; support team to reach common goals.
* Support all co-workers and treat them with dignity and respect.
Quality Assurance/Quality Improvement
* Comply with quality assurance expectations and standards.
* Stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of time or for an entire work shift.
* Reach overhead and below the knees, including bending, twisting, pulling, and stooping.
* Move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing less than or equal to 25 pounds without assistance.
Sanitation and Maintenance
* Wash and disinfect kitchen area including tables, tools, knives, and equipment to ensure sanitary conditions and meet the departmental standards, including using sanitizers required by health department.
* Set-up and break down work station with required mise en place, tools, equipment and supplies, ensuring items are to established specs, ensuring adequate fill of containers, storing items appropriately, and cleaning station as appropriate.
* Follow and ensure compliance with sanitation and cleaning procedures and pest control guidelines, reporting pest control issues to appropriate personnel.
* Disassemble and assemble kitchen equipment following safety procedures when cleaning.
* Follow appropriate personal hygiene procedures to ensure food served to guests is safe for consumption, including disinfecting hands prior to handling food and wearing hat/hairnet and proper footwear.
* Follow and ensure compliance with food safety and handling policies and procedures, such as product rotation, First In-First Out (FIFO); dating, labeling, cleaning, and organizing coolers/freezers/storage areas; and Cold Chain compliance, across all food-related departments and areas.
* Report maintenance issues immediately to appropriate personnel (i.e., management or maintenance).
Kitchen Tools & Equipment
* Use kitchen tools safely and appropriately, including using appropriate tools to open cartons, boxes, and cans; keeping knives sharpened; using proper knife handling procedures; using correct knives for particular food item or specific task; using dry pads when moving hot material; and engaging all appropriate safety devices prior to operating equipment. Use measuring tools (for example, scale, measuring cups, measuring spoons) to precisely measure ingredients and portion sizes.
* Passion for producing great food
Skills and Knowledge
* Communication skills (verbal, listening, writing)
* Pro-active and reliable
* Able to work alone and with a team ( Interpersonal skills)
* Team working
* Diversity Relations
* Personal Attributes
* Safety Orientation
* Presentation skills
* Stock and Inventory
* Food Storage and Rotation
* Basic Cookery
* Ability to follow instruction
* Attention to detail
* Well presented
* Good timekeeping
* Flexibility of hours, days of week, early/late shifts
Education or Certification
* 5 GCSE or Equivalent
* Willing to commit to NVQ Level 2 and a minimum 8 hours work in own time
* Must achieve minimum entry level 3 in Numeracy and Literacy Tests
This job description provides an outline of the major focus areas of the job role and is not exhaustive and subject to amendment from time to time.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.