MARRIOTT LEICESTER HOTEL
Department: KITCHEN DEPARTMENT
Reports to: EXECUTIVE CHEF/SOUS CHEF / JUNIOR SOUS CHEF
This job description sets out the current duties of the job role that may vary from time to time without changing the general character of the job role or the level of responsibility entailed.
Work as part of the Kitchen brigade to deliver food to the Food and Beverage outlets including Restaurant, Room Service, Bar and Conference. As part of the busy brigade you would be expected to support the senior members of the Kitchen team to ensure that all food produced meets the customer expectations, is of the highest quality and meets all Marriott brand specifications.
Previous experience as a Commis Chef from a similar or different style of operation is essential
Skills and Knowledge
Strong communication skills (verbal, listening, writing)
Pro-active and reliable
Good attention to detail
Knowledge of all menu items served in the hotel
Able to work alone and within a team
Flexible hours in line with business needs
Must be well presented and have excellent personal hygiene
Education or Certification
Good level of English essential
Basic Food Hygiene Certificated
Completed or studying towards NVQ Level 2 or 3
The following are specific responsibilities and contributions critical to the successful performance of the position:
1. To have an extensive knowledge of all food items offered within the hotel and the Marriott specifications for these items of food.
2. Support Food and Beverage associates with any customer queries relating to food served within the hotel.
3. Support hotel associates and managers by promptly correcting any problems experienced by the customer.
4. Ensure that timely information is provided to the associate/manager to ensure guests receive an appropriate response in a timely manner.
5. Support the food and beverage associates to fully understand the taste, texture and smell of all food items served within the hotel in order to assist up selling techniques.
6. To be a hotel ambassador when in the front of house food and beverage areas by promoting the hotel food and beverages outlets using professional up selling tactics and demonstrate to hotel guests the best possible service.
7. Provide the highest possible service whether front or heart of house through attention to detail and ensuring all food delivered to the customer is on time, well presented and meets the customer expectations while remaining within Marriott food specification requirements.
8. To remain flexible to all guest queries and requests
9. To assist the Senior Chefs team in all aspects of the day to day running of the Kitchen
10. To assist in the running of a section under the guidance of the Senior Chefs and be capable of taking charge of any section in the kitchen and running it competently.
11. To be capable of preparing dishes with a minimum amount of wastage.
12. To report any unusual occurrences to the relevant person immediately and seek Managers support if needed to resolve any issue and ensure a prompt service is provided.
13. Expected to carry out all reasonable requests by management of which the associate is capable of performing
14. To maintain cleanliness and neatness of work area
15. To attend all Marriott training sessions including all legislative training or additional training provided by the hotel and departmental meetings as required.
16. To adhere to the Marriott uniform standards at all times.
17. To be familiar with Marriott Brand Standards and be able to demonstrate this by behaving accordingly with them.
Safety and Security
1. Report work related accidents or other injuries immediately upon occurrence to manager/supervisor.
2. Attend to or report any defects or Health & Safety matters brought to your attention.
3. Ensure that all work is carried out in compliance with Health & Safety laws specifications both legislative and Marriott.
4. Identify and correct unsafe work procedures or conditions and/or report them to management and security/safety personnel.
5. To follow all food safety, allergy and hygiene policies, procedures and legislation and protect the safety of the guest at all times.
6. Follow company and department safety and security policies and procedures to ensure a clean, safe and secure environment.
7. Complete appropriately safety training and certifications to perform work tasks.
8. Be familiar with and follow all hotel safety and accident prevention procedures.
9. Handle all emergencies according to established procedures
Performs other related tasks as assigned by management.
Complies with Marriott International Hotels Limited Regional Office policies and procedures.
Working hours as required to do your job but normally not less than your contracted hours.
Carry out any other reasonable duties as may be requested from time to time within the scope of the job