9 months ago
In a Nutshell
We are actively seeking a new Head Chef to help prepare and cook delicious, award-winning food for our beautifully charming Castle Inn in Castle Combe. Castle Combe is a picture perfect village set in beautiful Cotswold countryside; a film location for War Horse, Doctor Dolittle and Stardust.
The Castle Inn is next to The Manor House Hotel, part of a fabulous collection of hotels, venues, spas, a golf club and a cookery school in the Southern counties of England, run by a great team of people.
You will be responsible for overseeing the food and kitchen operations for the restaurant and will lead and inspire the kitchen and service teams with a culture that delivers an amazing guest experience.
Menu development will be an important part of this role with a thorough understanding and passion for fresh food and flavours. We need to deliver food that sits at a two AA rosette standard and is worthy of a Michelin Bib Gourmand. Having a key eye for local and current food trends will be integral to this role.
If this is the kind of opportunity you are looking for - apply now!
Lots to do but lots of fun
* Be the face of the kitchen at the Castle Inn, leading and inspiring the kitchen and service teams to deliver amazing guest experiences
* Create original and great tasting seasonal food menus
* Motivate the kitchen team to deliver a consistently high standard of food preparation and cooking
* Hold regular inspirational product and skill focussed training sessions for the kitchen and service teams
* Lead the recruitment of chefs and kitchen porters
* Establish great relationships with food suppliers and work closely with the Manager to negotiate contracts and keep an eye out for food support opportunities from third party brands for events at the Inn.
* Ensure the kitchens are compliant with Food Safety/Health & Safety regulations and to manage and uphold regular cleaning and kitchen maintenance schedules to deliver a five star FSA rating.
* Work closely with the Manager, marketing and events teams for the effective food operation throughout service and for all events.
* Ensure that systems for stock management are adhered to and that stock levels are maintained in all kitchens with stock rotation taking place
* Implement and maintain food wastage control within all kitchens
* Promote the concept of the Castle Inn with passion and enthusiasm to all of the team.
* Have a sound working understanding of all costs and charges relating to food operations and ensuring food cost of sales and GP margins are maintained at budgeted levels
* Control the operational excellence of a busy and demanding kitchen, ensuring the Standard Operating Procedures for the kitchens are fully understood and followed at all times.
* Control wage percentages in line with budget Plan holidays for the team effectively.
* Oversee all ordering, stock controls and standards of procedures
* Participate fully as a team member within the F&B Department
* Attend daily meetings promptly as required and to attend weekly function sheet meetings.
* Be responsible for ensuring all kitchen equipment and machinery is in working order and all repairs are reported and monitored
* Assist the Manager in monthly department meetings
The Ideal Candidate
Are you right for us?
1. You will be an experienced Head Chef with a stable culinary background and experience of managing standalone restaurants with high volume.
2. You will be an experienced Chef that could deliver a two AA rosette standard and have the desire to achieve a Michelin Bib Gourmand.
3. You will be financially aware with experience of costing menus and managing food cost.
4. You will be a good communicator and be able to lead inspirational regular training sessions with the team. Both are very important, even in this hands on role.
5. You must have, or be willing to create great relationships with the suppliers with a desire to work with them to produce a fantastic product and develop innovative menus that are aligned with the Castle Inn concept. Suppliers are likely to be aligned to the hotel to achieve the best purchasing power.
6. You want to be part of something really special..
And now for the good stuff
Hospitality is all about looking after people and we are committed to our people. We work hard to ensure you can enjoy your job and are well rewarded. As well as excellent training, development and progression opportunities, other benefits include:
* Competitive salary
* Complimentary meals whilst on duty
* Complimentary car parking
* Perkz discount scheme
* Discounted room nights across all Exclusive properties
* Discounts on food and beverage across all Exclusive properties
About the Company
Are we right for you?
We expect a lot but we’ll give a lot to get the right people. There are 4 main things we look for
1. We want people with bags of character. We don’t want you to hide your personality when you’re at work, we want you to feel comfortable, to be who you are.
2. We want people people. You’ve got to like being around others, smiling and chatting because you like people, not because someone told you to smile and chat.
3. We need extra milers. So if you think the job description is all you have to do, then we’re not for you.
4. You have to put your heart into it. When you tell a guest you’re happy to help, you have to mean it.
Where are we?
The Castle Inn is in Castle Combe, Wiltshire, SN14 7HN